MATH and PRE-ALGEBRA LEARNING OBJECTIVES
Book 1 – Problem Solving
• Describe the formal problem-solving approach.
• Select appropriate problem-solving strategies.
Book 2 – Whole Numbers and Addition
• Interpret the meaning of numbers found in the real world.
• Solve problems requiring whole number addition.
• Interpret and solve addition problems involving large numbers.
Book 3 – Multiplication, Subtraction, and Division
• Solve problems requiring multiplication.
• Solve problems requiring subtraction.
• Solve problems requiring division.
Book 4 – Putting Basic Operations to Work
• Select and use the correct basic operation required to solve problems.
• Solve problems requiring two different operations.
• Solve complex problems requiring more than two basic operations.
Book 5 – Fractions
• Solve problems requiring the multiplication of fractions.
• Solve problems requiring the addition of fractions.
• Solve problems requiring the subtraction of fractions.
Book 6 – Decimals
• Solve problems requiring regrouping by tens.
• Solve problems involving basic operations with decimals.
• Express fractions as decimals.
Book 7 – Estimation
• Recognize when estimation is appropriate.
• Determine the level of accuracy required of an estimate based on the situation.
• Apply three estimation techniques to solve real-life problems.
Book 8 – The Calculator
• Calculate the solution to problems requiring basic operations.
• Estimate to check the reasonableness of calculator solutions.
• Calculate the solution to problems using a memory key.
Book 9 – Percents
• Solve percent problems.
• Solve sales tax and tip problems.
• Solve credit problems.
Book 1 – Monetary Estimation
• Solve monetary estimation problems involving decimals.
• Estimate the solution to monetary problems using fractions.
• Estimate the solution to problems involving percent.
Book 2 – Measurement
• Measure and convert common quantities using the English System.
• Measure and convert quantities using the Metric System.
• Convert English measures to metric and vice versa.
Book 3 – Negative Numbers
• Add and subtract negative numbers.
• Locate points on a coordinate grid system and interpret points found on a coordinate grid system.
• Solve problems involving time.
Book 4 – Plane Geometry
• Solve problems requiring the calculation of quadrilateral perimeters and areas.
• Calculate the area and perimeter of a right triangle.
• Solve problems for two-dimensional shapes requiring the value of pi.
Book 5 – Solid Geometry
• Calculate the volume of rectangular solids.
• Calculate the volume of prisms and pyramids.
• Calculate the volume of cylinders, cones, and spheres.
Book 6 – Consumer Math
• Solve problems involving comparisons.
• Solve consumer problems involving cost per unit.
• Solve ratio problems.
Book 7 – Patterns
• Solve problems that involve the recognition of patterns.
• Identify three types of graphs.
• Solve problems requiring the interpretation of graphs
Book 8 – Sampling Data
• Interpret data using averages.
• Determine whether samples are fair representation of the total from which they are drawn.
• Identify misleading presentations of data.
Book 9 – Probability and Statistics
• Express probability as a fraction or decimal.
• Calculate probability in simple games of chance.
• Solve problems involving probability.
Book 1 – Adding and Subtracting Fractions
• Express a part of a whole as a fraction.
• Find fractions on number lines.
• Generate fraction families.
• Add or subtract fractions and mixed numbers.
Book 2 – Adding and Subtracting Fractions
• Add fractions with numerators of 1.
• Add fractions with unlike denominators.
• Subtract common fractions.
• Use the general case method to add or subtract fractions.
Book 3 – Mixed Numbers
• Interpret quantities represented on a number line.
• Convert improper fractions to mixed numbers, and vice versa.
• Regroup whole numbers and mixed numbers.
• Estimate sums of mixed numbers.
• Add and subtract mixed numbers.
• Apply knowledge of fractions to everyday problems.
Book 4 – Review
• Interpret fractions as parts of a whole, as division, and as ratios.
• Apply another method to add and subtract mixed numbers.
• Find the circumference of a circle using the ratio pi.
Book 5 – Multiplying and Dividing Fractions
• Recognize basic math terminology.
• Multiply and divide one fraction by another.
• Multiply and divide a whole number by a fraction.
• Multiply and divide by mixed numbers.
• Solve word problems.
Book 6 – Multiplying and Dividing Fractions
• Use cancellation to simplify fraction problems.
• Apply additional methods for multiplying and dividing fractions and mixed numbers.
• Find reciprocals of numbers.
• Use reciprocals to simplify compound fractions.
Book 7 – Decimals and Graphs
• Write fractions as decimals.
• Add, subtract, multiply, and divide decimals.
• Interpret pie charts and line and bar graphs.
• Use graphs to find information.
Book 8 – Ratio and Proportion
• Determine when fractions are equivalent.
• Convert fractions to decimals and decimals to fractions.
• Convert decimals to percents and percents to decimals.
• Solve for unknowns in problems involving the four basic operations.
Book 9 – Percentage Problems I
• Apply the basic formula for finding percent.
• Apply formulas to find the part, the whole, or the percent.
• Apply knowledge of percent formula to solve everyday problems.
Book 10 – Percentage Problems II
• Apply formula for calculating property taxes and assessed value.
• Apply formula for calculating interest, principal, rate, and time.
• Apply formula for calculating discounts and markups.
Book 1 – Signed Numbers
• Identify signed numbers on the number line.
• Interpret absolute value.
• Add, subtract, multiply, and divide signed numbers.
• Find unknown quantity using inverse operations.
• Substitute values and evaluate to check an answer.
Book 2 – Basic Algebra
• Apply appropriate sequence of operations.
• Calculate square roots by estimating and averaging.
• Simplify polynomials.
• Use simultaneous equations to solve for unknowns.
• Solve a literal equation for a designated variable.
• Apply the Pythagorean Theorem.
Book 3 – Geometry
• Determine degrees in an angle.
• Find lengths of sides of triangles using properties of similar triangles and the Pythagorean Theorem.
• Determine whether two triangles are similar using the Pythagorean Theorem and cross-multiplication.
• Find the perimeter and area of geometric figures.
Book 4 – Measurement
• Convert one measurement to another.
• Find unit values.
• Solve problems involving different measures.
• Computer perimeter, area, and volume for various objects.
Book 5 – Problem Solving
• Translate literal statements into algebraic statements.
• Substitute values in algebraic statements and evaluate.
• Solve everyday problems using problem-solving approach.
• Solve word problems involving more than one unknown.